This Boston Brown Bread Recipe is a great accompaniment for broths, stews, or on its own…from Simple American Cooking by Evelyn Beilenson.
Boston Brown Bread
1 cup flour
1 cup corn meal
1 cup coarse wheat flour
3/4 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup molasses
2 cups sour milk, or 1 3/4 cups sweet milk
1 cup seedless raisins
Butter for greasing mold
1. Mix and sift dry ingredients, add molasses, milk, and raisins. Stir until well mixed, and fill well-greased mold not more than two-thirds full.
2. Cover mold tightly and place mold on trivet in kettle containing boiling water, allowing water to come halfway up around mold.
3. Cover kettle and steam 3 1/2 hours, keeping water at boiling point. Add more boiling water as needed.
Note: Boston Brown Bread may be steamed in double boiler.
1. Grease top part and half fill with batter.
2. Set over lower part which contains enough boiling water to cover 1/2 inch of base of upper part.
3. Cover tightly and steam 3 hours over low heat, keeping water at boiling point.
Interested in more American Cooking recipes? Download the entire eBook to your reader!
Image © endeavor/Shutterstock.com