Is it cold where you are? It's nippy here in the Northeast. We like to warm up with a simple Goulash recipe from Simple Viennese Cookery by Edna Beilenson.
2 onions, minced
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 pound pork
1/2 pound beef
1/2 pound veal
1 green pepper
6 sprigs parsley
2 fresh, or 1 cup stewed tomatoes
4 raw potatoes
Salt and paprika
1. Mince onions and brown in butter.
2. While onion is frying, cut pork, beef, and veal into 1-inch cubes.
3. When these are ready, put them to brown with the onions.
4. Remove stem and seeds from a green pepper and chop; mince parsley and quarter tomatoes. Add to meat.
5. Now pour in hot water until the meat is barely covered, cover the pot, and let meat simmer slowly for 50 minutes.
6. Meanwhile peel and dice 4 raw potatoes.
7. After 50 minutes' simmering, add potatoes to meat.
8. Add water if needed to cover the potatoes, season the stew with 1 tablespoonful of salt and 1/4 teaspoonful of paprika; let it simmer, without stirring, for 25 minutes longer.
Interested in more delicious recipes? Download the entire eBook to your reader:
Image © Karl Allgaeuer/Shutterstock.com