Temps are dipping and comfort food season is here. Enjoy this Boston Baked Beans Recipe from Simple American Cooking by Evelyn Beilenson.
Boston Baked Beans
Makes 6 servings
1 pound pea, marrow or navy beans
1 medium onion
1/2 pound salt pork
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 cup molasses
1. Wash beans, cover with cold water and let soak overnight. Drain and set beans aside.
2. Quarter onion and place in bottom of bean crock.
3. Cut salt pork into chunks and place 3 or 4 pieces on top of onion.
4. Pour beans into crock, place remainder of salt pork on top, sprinkle with sugar, salt, pepper, ketchup, and mustard, and add molasses.
5. Add enough boiling water to cover beans. Cover and bake in a 325°f oven 5 to 6 hours or until beans are tender and brown.
6. Keep beans covered with liquid except during last hour of baking, when water is allowed to bake away.
7. About 30 minutes before beans are done, remove cover. Serve with brown bread.
Interested in more American Cooking recipes? Download the entire eBook to your reader!
Image © Marie C. Fields/Shutterstock.com