This Spanish dish has it all! The ABC of Gourmet Cookery has gourmet recipes that are easy to make, require only those ingredients readily found on most home pantry shelves, and which are reputation-making for the cooks that use them. This Gourmet Paella recipe is sure to impress.
1 frying chicken
(2 1/2 lbs. ready-to-cook)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
4 onions, finely chopped
2 green peppers, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup rice
Spanish thread saffron
1 1/4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon Accent
1 can chick peas
1 package frozen green peas, cooked
1 pound cooked shrimp, shelled
12 Cherrystone clams*
1. Cut chicken for frying; wash but do not dry.
2. Heat the olive oil and the peanut oil in a 12-inch skillet; brown chicken thoroughly, add 1/4 cup water and cook until tender, approximately 20 minutes.
3. Remove chicken.
4. To the drippings left in pan add salt, pepper, chopped onions, green peppers and garlic; cook over low heat until wilted.
5. In a 1-quart saucepan melt butter, add unwashed rice and saffron; stir over low heat a few minutes. Add enough water to chicken stock to make 2 1/4 cups, stir in Accent, and add to rice.
6. Bring to boil; cook, covered, over low heat until rice is tender and liquid absorbed.
7. Stir rice, chick peas and cooked green peas into onion mixture in skillet.
8. Layer with chicken, shrimp, and clams in a 4-quart shallow casserole (or 2 smaller casseroles).
9. Reserve a few clams for top. Bake in 350° oven for 15 minutes, or until clams open. Serve at once.
*Note: Before using clams, soak in ice-cold salted water 1 hour; scrub with stiff brush; rinse under cold running water, and refrigerate until used.
Interested in more easy-to-prepare Gourmet dishes? Download the entire eBook to your reader:
Image © Marco Mayer/Shutterstock.com