(formerly AnnMarie Harris)
Also author of:
Curiosity Killed the Cat (Scholastic) – under the pseudonym Sierra Harimann
Nutcracker (Dial Books for Young Readers)
1. What foods do you hate? Peas and lima beans.
2. What was the name of your imaginary childhood friend or favorite pet? My sister and I had a pair of joint imaginary friends named Sally and Philomena. We thought we had invented both names ourselves, and I was crushed when I discovered they were real names.
3. What mildly embarrassing song or musical artist do you secretly love? The boy band One Direction.
4. What book did you “fake” reading in school? I wrote a paper once about James Joyce without ever having read anything he’s written.
5. Who are your favorite authors of all time? I tend to have favorite books more than favorite authors, and they change a lot, but I’ve liked pretty much anything Michael Chabon has ever written. Also, Shakespeare
6. What exotic pet would you like to have? None, thanks! The cat I have is interesting enough!
7. If you had a time machine and could travel to the past or future, what time period would you visit? The 1870s in the Midwest. I would love to witness Laura Ingalls Wilder’s childhood in person
8. What was the first concert you attended? Carole and Paula from The Magic Garden. I’m sure the only people who will know who they are also grew up on Long Island in the 80s!
9. What is the strangest food you have ever eaten? Miracle fruit. It makes anything you eat afterward—even a slice of grapefruit—taste sweet.
10. What inspires your writing? The people I know, places I’ve been, and the things I love in life… playing with my son, riding a bicycle, knitting, baking, and of course, reading.